Monday, March 26, 2012

Bargain Book Discovery!


I buy a lot of bargain books. I read very few of them, as my readers know, because usually they're not very good. Every now and then I find a new-to-me author that way and get all giddy because one can never really have enough reading material, right? Reviews on those kinds of books get me all excited because - well, come on - is it really all that shocking that best-sellers get Five Stars? Don't we all kind of root for the underdog (Phooey on you, President Snow!), especially as writers, because that could be us someday.

This is that kind of review. I wasn't familiar with Ryne Douglas Pearson when I checked All for One out of the Kindle library, and I didn't set my hopes too high. But suddenly I noticed I was thinking about this book when I wasn't reading it. Hmmm. I was missing out on important conversations going on around me while I was reading it. And I could give anyone willing to listen an accurate and detailed plot summary on demand. Holy Cow, this is a good book! Alright!!

All for One is murder mystery, but no one is really mourning the victim. The book opens over the body of the school bully, in the midst of a conspiracy among his classmates to hide the identity of the murderer. There is nothing YA about this story filled with five school children and their beloved teacher. This is a suspenseful whodunnit that grapples with difficult issues like the true nature of justice and isn't afraid to ask what if the world is a better place without the victim? The protagonist is artfully portrayed as a burnt-out cop who has given too much of himself and wrecked his life On The Job - without fading into a cliche. The different school children involved in the cover-up are well-developed characters with distinguishable personalities and lives, and they are never silly or childish. It is no small feat for an adult to write believably from the point of view of a child.

The icing on the cake is that Pearson has seven more novels available on Amazon, each for less than $5 on Kindle. And I intend to make my way through them all. Nicely played, Smuck & Underwood, whoever you are. You've netted Pearson a new fan. 4.5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment